With summer rapidly approaching, many of us canine lovers are excited to bring our dogs to the beach! There is nothing better then spending your days under the sun, sand, and ocean waves! While the beach is filled with lots of exciting times it can defiantly tire one out including your pup. In these circumstance we have to remember to always be cautious of our pets especially when they stop to take their power naps.
Here are some summer beach tips for your sleeping pup!
1. Dogs can be just as sensitive to the sun as humans are, especially if they have light skin, fur, or short hair. Try and keep your pup in the shade when sleeping although, if they are exposed to the sun always apply pet friendly sunscreen!
2. We know beach days can get kind of messy whether you’ve been hanging out in the water or rolling around in the sand. While taking a nap in the sand might be comfortable for your dog, don’t forget to rinse off your dog’s coat to rid them of any sand, salt, and beach germs!
3. Heat exposure and the amount your pet gets is extremely crucial when taking your trip to the beach. You want your pup to get some sun but not TOO much. In order to avoid heatstrokes it is important to build in breaks for shady naps and continue to keep your pet hydrated throughout the day.
Some common signs of heatstroke in pets are:
• Rapid panting
• Bright red tongue
• Red or pale gums
• Thick, sticky saliva
• Vomiting – sometimes with blood
4. Remember to always check local leash and vaccination laws before you travel to any dog beach, and always keep extra food, water, and a first-aid kit in your car in case of emergencies! At the end of the day, don’t worry! Your pet can sleep on the beach as long as they are safe!!