Your dog barks and wags its tail while it stares up at the counter at the treats. You have such a hard time denying your pup, but you worry about the health of your loyal friend. You don’t want to feed your dog too many treats. With summer fast approaching, everyone in your house is looking to get that beach body. Why shouldn’t that include your dog?
Here are five healthy treats you can give to your pup without any guilt.
1. Halo Dog Treats: All of Halo’s dog treats are all natural and award winning treats! They are not made with corn, fillers, added salt, sugar or molasses and contain no empty calories. Whether you get your pup the protein treats (chicken, beef, salmon), baked treats (chicken, beef & liver, peanut ‘n pumpkin, chicken and cheese, skin and coat), or dental treats (mint, pumpkin, nutty banana), you’re going to get a quality, healthy, and tasty product! (Retail ranges from $5.23-12.99 on their website)
Not only that, but AT LEAST half of the profits Halo makes on these products they donate to their Halo Pet Foundation (hyperlink: http://www.halopetfoundation.org/)! The Halo Foundation, represented by TV personality Ellen DeGeneres, seeks “to educate people on responsible pet ownership, eliminating animal abuse and reducing the overpopulation of uncared for pets”.
2. TruDog Treats: The first and most important step to looking great is feeling great! The founders of Trudog, a small, family-owned business, know this all too well. After losing a furry family member, the founders realized how important puppy nutrition really is. And so came out TruDog, their brainchild! With a fierce focus on meeting nutritional needs that most cooking processes eliminate, TruDog treats are a true boost to your pet’s nutrition! ($12.95 on TruDog website)
3. The Bear and the Rat’s Frozen Yogurt: Those hot summer days/nights will lead you to craving something sweet and cold, like frozen yogurt. However, you can’t leave your little buddy out of the frozen yogurt fun! No worries about feeding your pup any chocolate because this product contains none. Flavors like Bacon Peanut Barker, Banana Peanut Barker, and Choc ’O’ Not, it’s almost guaranteed their will be a flavor your dog will love. They also sell cones to go along with the frozen yogurt! Don’t give your little buddy too much though. You don’t want to ruin his weight loss progress! (Retail $6.99 from the Bear and the Rat’s website)
4. Nature’s Variety Instinct Grain-Free Biscuit Treats: For you who are traditional and just want a biscuit to give to your dog, these biscuits are one of the healthiest ones out there. They’re all natural, grain-free, gluten-free, infused with prebiotics and probiotics and also contain no added sugar or salt. These oven baked biscuits come in four flavors (chicken, lamb, rabbit, and duck) and will be loved by your pup. Use them to train your dog to roll over and show off his new beach body! ($7.49 at petco.com)
5. NUTRO Natural Choice Dog Treats & Biscuits: Like everything else on this list, NUTRO’s treats are completely natural and contain none of that icky stuff that you don’t want your buddy ingesting. They have biscuits with flavors like chicken with brown rice and lamb with potato and crunchy treats with flavors like banana, peanut butter, and pomegranate. They are also the company behind the GREENIES dental treats; the bone that actually cleans and freshens your dog’s mouth! (Ranges from $10-19.99 on amazon.com)
NUTRO is also a company that supports and runs many charities (hyperlink http://www.nutro.com/about-us/nutro-community-initiatives.aspx). The Room to Run Project protects and enhances dog parks. The National Disaster Search Dog Foundation provides free food to the search dogs across the nation. So while your pup is getting healthy and fit, the money you spend on the dog treats will be used for good causes!