Every pet parent wants to include their furry companions in the festivities but as you celebrate this Howl-iday season, try to keep your pet’s daily eating and exercise routines as close to normal as possible. Here are some helpful tips to get you and your Fido or feline safely through the Howl-idays!
Pet-ercise! If your guests would like to give your furry friends a little attention and exercise while you’re busy tending to the party, ask them to feel free to start a nice play or petting session.
Deck the Halls (without the Holly)! Although boughs of holly and mistletoe are beautiful and traditional decorations, they are harmful to your pets! Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea while mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies, can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Instead choose artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or purchase a pet safe bouquet
No Cocktails for Your Guests with Tails! If your Howl-iday celebration includes alcoholic beverages, be sure to place your unattended drinks where pets cannot get to them. If ingested, your furry friend could become weak, ill and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.
Barkin’ Around the Christmas Tree! Looking for a special gift to stuff your pet’s stockings? Opt for gifts that are safe and fun!
- Canines also look forward to opening presents on Christmas morning but in their excitement they may tear their toys apart and swallow the pieces, which can then become lodged in the esophagus, stomach or intestines. Stick with chew toys that are basically indestructible, Kongs that can be stuffed with healthy foods or chew treats that are designed to be safely digestible.
- Long, stringy things are on a feline’s wish list, but the most risky toys for cats involve ribbon, yarn and loose little parts that can get stuck in the intestines, often necessitating surgery. Instead surprise your kitty with a new ball that’s too big to swallow, a stuffed catnip toy or the interactive cat dancer — and tons of play sessions together.
Canine Candle Caution! Don’t leave lighted candles near your dog or cat when you are not around. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Always use candle holders placed on a level surface and put the candle out if you leave the room.
No Doggy Bags for the Leftovers! Keep pets away from fatty, spicy, bones and to be safe NO human foods. Give your pet other fun ways to enjoy the festivities that won’t lead to costly medical bills.
I’m Dreaming of a Wireless Christmas! Move wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. Wires can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock to your pet while a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus. Shards of breakable ornaments can also damage your pet’s mouth and are harmful if swallowed.
Candy Canines! Never feed your pets chocolate or anything sweetened with xylitol, but do you know the lengths your pet will go to satisfy their sweet tooth? Keep your pets away from the table and unattended plates of food, and be sure to secure the lids on garbage cans.
Do You Hear What I (Don’t) Hear? As you ring in the New Year, remember that noisy poppers can terrify pets and cause damage to sensitive ears.Strings of thrown confetti can get lodged in a cat’s intestines if ingested, perhaps necessitating surgery so celebrate with your pet’s safety in mind.
A Prescription for Pet Trouble! Keep all of your medications behind secure doors so your pet can’t find them. Be sure to tell your guests to keep their meds zipped up and packed away, too.
O Christmas Tree Anchor your Christmas tree so it will not tip and fall, causing injury to your pet. Especially since the tree water — which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset — may spill out. Stagnant water is also a breeding ground for bacteria and if your pet goes sniffing they could end up with nausea or diarrhea.
Canine Comfort! Give your pet his own quiet space to retreat to — complete with a place to snuggle and fresh water. Especially if shy pups and cats want to escape from the festivities and hide out under a piece of furniture or in their carrying case.
Holiday Catastrophe! Kitties love tinsel – the sparkly, light-catching decoration that’s easy to paw around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It’s best to brighten your boughs with something more feline friendly.