Your dog isn’t just your pet, rather a part of your family. Dogs give us unconditional love each and every day without us asking for it. They put their lives on the line every day- whether being a law enforcement partner, to detecting bombs and even guiding the blind, they are magnificent creatures and should be recognized as one. So today is the day to do something special for your pooch – and for those who are still looking for a family!
National Dog Day was created in 2004 – celebrating August 26th! National Dog Day was created to honor dogs more than we currently do, to give them “a day” to show deep appreciation for our long connection to each other for their endearing patience, unquestioning loyalty, for their work, their capacity for love and their ability to impact our lives everyday in the most miraculous ways. Now doesn’t that make you want to just squeeze your dog!
Although it is a day to celebrate your dog it is also a day to promote the opportunity for dogs to live happy, safe and abuse-free life. It is also a day to recognize the massive number of dogs that are available for adoption in shelters across the nation! Millions of dogs are euthanized each year because they are unwanted; consider adopting or raising awareness on National Dog Day!
There are many PAW-SOME ways to celebrate National Dog Day! Here are a few ways!
– Treat your dog! Purchase a new toy or bone for your dog to show them how much you appreciate them. There’s nothing a dog loves more than a new treat!
– Spend the day together – Whether you take your dog for a walk, to the doggie park or watch movies all day together, it’s a day for your dog! They love you as much as you love them, if not more!
– Spread awareness – If you choose to celebrate today keep all dogs in mind! Especially those without a family to celebrate the day with. Share stories and links to shelters through social media. A little online activity may just get a dog adopted!
– Volunteer/Donate! – Money is always tight in shelters. A small buck can go a long way! Donations allow shelters to provide the proper food and medicine for sheltered dogs while there on the path to being adopted. Can’t donate? Shelters are always looking for volunteers to help out and keep the dogs company.
– Adopt! – What’s a better way to celebrate National Dog Day then to adopt! You can give a sheltered dog a permanent home and in return get the unconditional love you have been longing for!
You should make your dog feel special everyday – but especially today! Hold on to your dog tight and appreciate the happiness they have bought into your life. Mostly – don’t forget to have a teRUFFic day! Remember if you don’t have a dog to celebrate with – ADOPT!