Lets go for a walk – dog style! Its National Walk Your Dog Day! This day brings awareness to the importance of walking your dog. Pet parents who fail to walk there dog as often as they should add to the increasing problem of canine behavior issues and canine obesity throughout America.
Walking your dog is much more than just a reason to get out of the house. It has a numerous amount of health benefits! Here are 10 reasons why walking your dog should be at the top of your to-do list!
1) Taking your dog for a walk will calm it down. Dogs build up a certain amount of energy a day that there just dying to let out. If your dog’s energy isn’t released during a walk then it’s extremely likely for bad behavior to occur. Having a tired dog will cause it to be calm and relaxed! Good for you and your home!
2)Social interaction. Socialization is an important part to anyone’s life – especially your dog! While walking around you may bump into a friend or your dog’s friend! Building your dogs social skills will make for peaceful interactions in the near future.
3) Aids in training your dog. Having your dog use its energy during a walk will allow for his mind to be calmer. This is a time where your dog is most likely to focus on you and your training. Remember you should be the one walking your dog, not the other way around!
4) The dog won’t walk itself! Dogs will take responsibility for their own health. So if they have to go to the bathroom and you refuse to take them for a walk they will most likely go potty in your home. By taking your dog for walks constantly they will learn that walks are the time to go to the bathroom.
5) Provides mental and physical stimulation. During a walk your dog will uncover new smells, sounds and sights. Exploring new surroundings happens to be an instinctual activity for dogs.
6) Exposure to the world beyond your home. Dogs who are kept cooped up inside a house all day are not going to be familiar with things around the neighborhood. Many dogs will bark in fear or become skittish if they around a strange thing. By getting them used to other surroundings and objects, they will become more comfortable to the world they live in.
7) Prevents Obesity! Unlike humans, dogs don’t realize that they are gaining wait. Since they cannot go to the gym or attend yoga classes alone it’s your goal to get them back in shape! Walks will allow your dog to walk off the pounds and aid in lengthening the life of your dog!
8) Bonding time! It’s very important to have a strong bond with your dog. After all, a dog is a mans best friend. By simply walking your dog you are providing them with the attention and interaction they long for. Also walking your dog with other dogs will help them develop a relationship.
9) Fulfill your dog’s natural instincts. Walking is a dog’s natural instinct! Walking provides a sense of direction and accomplishment. Walks can help prevent your dogs desire from running away!
10) A reason to get out! The best part of walking your dog is that you have your very own walking buddy! You get to enjoy the fresh air and world around you with your best friend.
Experts agree that an appropriate amount of time for a daily walk is a minimum of 30-45 minutes in total. Keep in mind that certain breeds such as herding dogs and high-energy dogs may require more time! If you are out of the house all day you can even ask your neighbor or a trustworthy friend to take your dog for a walk!
Remember that a dog that is not walked often could become anxious, bored or destructive. You don’t want to walk into a destroyed living room! Boredom is one of the key reasons why dogs tend to act out – cure that boredom with a lovely walk together! This also gives you quality-bonding time with your canine friend! So grab that leash and take your friend for a stroll! Its ALWAYS a beautiful day for a walk!