It may be one hot summer, but make sure it doesn’t get too hot! Home fires affect an estimated 500,000 pets annually. It can be an extremely devastating situation for both pet and owner! Yet owners don’t realize that there lovable pet can actually start the fire! According to an analysis by the National Fire Protection Association 1,000 fires each year are accidently started by the homeowners pets. More than often your pet doesn’t realize the effect of there actions!
The American Kennel Club and ADT security services have joined forces to create National Pet Fire Safety Day – a day to spread awareness about how pets can start fires and how to prevent them from happening. Simple measures can be taken that can make a huge difference and prevent fires from starting!
Prevent your beloved pet from accidentally starting a fire in your home!
- Invest in flameless candles. Candles are one of the most popular ways that an accidental fire can happen. Especially when left unsupervised. Your pet may be reaching to get something or simply wag its tail into the candle, causing it to knock over and catch fire. Flameless candles are the easiest way to prevent fires! Not to mention they are very stylish and yummy scented compared to the standard candle!
- Be cautious of open flames! Don’t leave your pet unattended around cooking appliances, your fireplace, candles and other things that would contain an open flame. Animals are very curious creatures! They may knock the flame over or even knock themselves into the flame!
- If necessary – remove stove knobs. Especially if your pet is large enough where they can reach the knobs. A fire can easily start from a pet accidentally pressing a stove knob while trying to reach something.
While taking these precautions remember that your smoke detector and fire monitor is always up to date. In the situation that your not home and a fire occurs the local fire department can be notified by your monitor and your pet can be rescued! It is always a smart idea to keep your pet near an exit when you leave the house – which makes for an easy rescue in the situation!
Fires occur everyday, and can wind up being devastating. Although you never think it would happen to you it’s always good to be precautious! Ensure that your home is fire-proof from your pet – keep your pet safe!