The Gifts That Keep On Giving – Giving Gifts That Make A Difference
Have you ever thought about what color llama you would get someone for Christmas? Everyone, except maybe Scrooge agrees that the holidays are all about giving and helping others in need. A recent Animalfair.com readership study found that 84% of pet parents will give their furry pals gifts this holiday season, with 61% of those giving said they are giving the gift of puppy love – more love, hugs, kisses, and play time!. In return, our pets give us the most important gift that we can’t buy: puppy love! Here are a few different ways you can give gifts that make a difference!
1. As the holidays approach, don’t have a cow . . . give a cow! Heifer International, a charity that is focused on caring for the earth and ending hunger and poverty, has many farm animals available as gifts. For a donation, an animal is given to families in need all over the world. For example, you can make a donation and a goat or cow will be given to a family to supply milk. Thanks to your generosity, lucky families can “moo-ve” up in life! Visit heifer.org for more details.
2. Every year, animal lovers adopt dogs and cats, but have you ever thought about adopting a gorilla? Now, before your head explodes, be aware that you can adopt a gorilla without giving up your guest room to him. Through the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International, you can give a donation and an endangered gorilla will be cared for in your name. For more information on how you can have your very own Donkey Kong, visit www.gorillafund.org.
3. This holiday season, give the gift of protection for the little guys! Now, we’re not telling you to become a bodyguard or join the Secret Service, but you can help out endangered animals that can’t defend themselves. Leonardo DiCaprio has the International Fund for Animal Welfare on his Christmas list. IFAW gives you the opportunity to protect some sweet seals or cuddly cubs in exchange for cute gifts like a calendar or stuffed animal . To find out how you can help, go to www.ifaw.org.
4. Now, making a difference and saving a pet’s life is as easy and fun as a shopping spree! Bring Pets Home (bringpetshome.org) is working with Walmart, Zales and Macy’s, to help the millions of shelter pets find loving homes for the holidays. All you have to do is purchase those perfect red shoes or that new blender you wanted and portions of the purchases are automatically donated to shelters all over the nation!
5. Anyone who has a kid, or has been a kid for that matter, knows how much young people want to get their paws on video games. This “howliday,” get that special gamer in your family the new “Petz” video game for the Nintendo DS. This new game from Ubisoft teaches children how to be responsible pet parents as they raise their very own digital dog or cat. Ubisoft is teaming up with the ASPCA to use this opportunity to raise awareness and educate young people on caring for a pet.